Lodge 288 History
On the 6th of November 1820 a charter was granted to Lodge St Margaret’s No 288, South Queensferry. Unfortunately, the charter and most of the history of this Lodge has been lost but it is known that it was extinct in 1837. Our record in Minute Book of 8th January 1935 records a copy of a letter received by Lodge Kirknewton and Ratho No 85 which reads as follows :-
St Margarets Lodge, Queensferry, 20th December 1820.
Right Worshipful Sir and Brother :
There is some evidence to indicate that this Lodge, St Margaret’s No.288 held meetings at the Hawes Inn, South Queensferry. The sponsor Lodges of Lodge St Margaret’s No.288 were Kirknewton and Ratho No.85 and St James Operative Lodge No.97. The petition for this Lodge was signed by Patrick Taylor and others residing locally. The charter members were as follows :-
Master Patrick Taylor