On the 6th of November, 1820 a charter was granted to Lodge St. Margaret's No.288, South Queensferry. Unfortunately, the charter and most of the history of this Lodge has been lost but it is known that it was extinct in 1837. Our record in Minute Book of 8th January 1935 records a copy of a letter received by Lodge Kirknewton and Ratho No 85 which reads as follows: St Margret's Lodge, Queensferry 20th December 1820 Right Worshipful Sir and Brother: At a meeting held in our Lodge last night, it was resolved to consecrate this Lodge on the 28th Curt. A deputation from your Lodge to assist in this ceremony will greatly oblige: Right Worshipful Sir and Brother, Yours truly, (signed) William Russell, Sec'y P.S. the Lodge will be opened at 11 o'clock forenoon.
There is some evidence to indicate that this Lodge, St Margaret's No.288 held meetings at the Hawes Inn, South Queensferry. The Sponsor Lodges of Lodge St Margaret's No.288 were Kirknewton and Ratho No.85 and St James's Operative Lodge No.97. The petition for this Lodge was signed by Patrick Taylor and others residing locally. The charter members were as follows: Master Patrick Taylor Depute Master Alexander McGibbon Senior Warden A Pollock Junior Warden Hugh Russell Treasurer William Girdwood Secretary William Russell Foot Note Extracts for Lodge St Margaret No 548 Historical Notes On 28th July 1936 the Minutes show that Bro W Russell, PM, (Lodge St Margaret's oldest Past Master) was introduced. Bro Russell stated that he had been a Past Master 45 years and, after 40 years absence it had been a great pleasure to be in Lodge St Margaret again and complimented the Lodge on its working of the degree. He stated that the original number of Lodge St Margaret was 288 and that the meetings were held in the Hawes Hotel; that was in 1820. However, owing to lack of numbers and support the Lodge ceased to exist while the Charter was returned to Grand Lodge and the Number (288) went to a Canadian Lodge. The Jewels were divided amongst the Office Bearers and his great-grandfather receive the Square and Compasses. These two Jewels had been handed down to him and he had much pleasure in presenting them to the new Lodge St Margaret and wished the Lodge every success. |