On 23rd September 1930 the RWM reported that the Lodge had bought from South Queensferry Town Council property adjoining the Masonic Hall known as the Old Library together with the piece of land between Lilybank and the Old Library for £50. The Old Library for many years served the Lodge as a kitchen and bar and is now the East section of the main hall.
At a meeting held on 23rd December 1920 a letter was read from Mr Charters (Dalmeny) regarding the ceiling including his estimate of £9 9 0d for putting Cel-O-Tex over the existing ceiling which he said “would stay up”. This tender was accepted and the ceiling remains today.
In April 1931 the Lodge held a whist drive and dance which realised the net sum of £14 12 3d which sum was made up to £15 0 0d and donated to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
In November 1934 the Lodge installed the first almoners, Bro T M G Haigh, PM and Bro R Dick.
On 25th June 1935 a hearty welcome was given to visiting brethren especially the deputation from USS Wyoming of the United States Navy and several visitors replied.
On 28th July 1936 the Minutes show that Bro W Russell, PM, (Lodge St Margaret’s oldest Past Master) was introduced. Bro Russell stated that he had been a Past Master 45 years and, after 40 years absence it had been a great pleasure to be in Lodge St Margaret again and complimented the Lodge on its working of the degree.
He stated that the original number of Lodge St Margaret was 288 and that the meetings were held in the Hawes Hotel; that was in 1820. However, owing to lack of numbers and support the Lodge ceased to exist while the Charter was returned to Grand Lodge and the Number (288) went to a Canadian Lodge. The Jewels were divided amongst the Office Bearers and his great-grandfather receive the Square and Compasses. These two Jewels had been handed down to him and he had much pleasure in presenting them to the new Lodge St Margaret and wished the Lodge every success.
On the 26th January 1937 the first business was the dedication of a Master’s Memorial Table and Tablet and Bro Walker invited Bro T M G Haigh PM, to accept the gavel to carry out the duties. Bro Haigh thanked the Master for the privilege and, after outlining the origin and application of the monies of the Memorial Fund, unveiled the Memorial Table. An oration was given by Bro Dr Mason. He referred to the distressing years 1914 to 1918 and the sacrifices made during that time. The Lodge had a large number who served with the Forces and six had made the supreme sacrifice and although time had mellowed these losses, the memory of those brethren who fell would ever be kept green. The Memorial would be a perpetual reminder of those brethren. Bro Rev Bower-Wilson then offered a prayer of dedication and Bro Piper Sergeant James Sanderson played a lament.
For many years the west end of the Lodge rooms comprised the Tyler’s house. In February 1937 it was agreed that part of the Tyler’s house be converted into anterooms for the Lodge. In April 1937 the Lodge heating was considered and a motion that the estimate of the City of Edinburgh Gas Department be accepted was carried. Details of the estimate are as follows:
“To supply and fix three six-loop radiators, 40 inches high at an annual rental of 13/- each. These are fitted free up to 60 feet of piping. Gas consumption would not exceed 2d per hour for the system.”
In October 1939 the Secretary read a letter received from the West Lothian-Education Committee advising that the Masonic Hall had been commandeered. The Lodge was allowed occasional use of the Hall outside school hours for Masonic purposes. The lower hall was occupied by the Air Raids Precautions Committee. In November, however, the Hall was taken over by the Royal Air Force.
It was decided to rent the Lodge organ to the Chaplain at HMS Lochinvar at Butlaw, at a nominal sum. On 12th December 1939 the first meeting of the Lodge at the Stag Head Hotel was held. A special meeting of the Lodge was held Thursday 31st October 1940, under special dispensation from the Provincial Grand Lodge, in the Lodge Rooms of Lodge Buchan St John No 636, Broxburn, for the purpose of working a Mark degree. Several brethren were advanced to the Mark degree, the number being too great for accommodation in the Stag Head Hotel.
On 11th March 1941 Lodge St Margaret met at the Parish Church Hall in South Queensferry for the first time, the Lodge Rooms still being occupied by the War Department.
On 25th June 1943 a special meeting of the Management Committee was held in the Masonic Hall which had, by then been vacated by the Royal Air Force. Arrangements were made to repair damages done to the premises. The special emergency meeting took place on Tuesday 13th July, where it was learned that the estimated damages amounted to £106 9/-. On 24th September 1946 a special meeting was held at which the Fellow Craft degree was worked by ex-Service members.
In October 1946 it was agreed by the Lodge that a Tablet be placed on the Memorial Table in honour of the brothers who made the supreme sacrifice in the Second World War.
On Tuesday 18th October 1949 Lodge St Margaret held 75th Anniversary celebrations at which the War Memorial Tablet was unveiled by the Right Worshipful Grand Master Mason and, at the same time, he unveiled the Past Masters Plaque. During the same ceremony, Bro William Marshall, PM, was presented with the Hon Grand Bible Bearer’s jewel.
In September 1953 the Lodge performed a very pleasing function to one and all when Past Master Bro T M G Haigh, Past Provincial Grand Senior Warden, “Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies, was introduced and presented with the Honorary Grand Bible Bearer’s jewel by Bro Dr Alexander Buchan, Past Master of Lodge Canongate Kilwinning No 2, Worshipful Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Scotland.
In November 1953 the Lodge purchased a photograph of the late King George VI, Past Grand Master Mason of Scotland.
On 11th October 1960 Bro Ralph C E Wright, CMBHI, presented a clock to the Lodge which is till ticking in the Lodge hall. Bro Wright’s father was Jeweller to the Lodge for many years as was Bro Wright himself.
In September 1962 an organ was gifted to the Lodge by Bro George MacKay of Lodge Roman Eagle No.160 and it was dedicated by Bro Rev Dr Lewis LL Cameron, CBE, DD, BSc, JP, Past Grand Chaplain, Past Provincial Grand Master of Linlithgowshire and an Honorary Member of Lodge St Margaret.
In April 1965 Lodge St Margaret decided to omit the Ancient Penalties from the Obligations and an explanation of the same be given.
In the summer of 1963 the old staircase from the upper to the lower hall was reversed to give better access, the new Gentlemen’s toilet was constructed and committee rooms and anterooms were constructed using the old Tyler’s house. Most of the work was done during the summer recess on a voluntary basis by several of the brethren.
In May 1966 it was agreed that the Lodge should close for the summer recess in April instead of May. It was also agreed that the Depute Master and the Substitute Master become members of the Enquiry Committee.
In February 1967 the brethren, again on a voluntary basis, redecorated the upper hall, the lower hall, the committee rooms and the anterooms, and also pointed the south face of the building.
On 22nd March 1970 several brethren from Lodge St Margaret attended the Parish Church on the occasion of the 900th Anniversary of the arrival of Queen Margaret in South Queensferry.
During the summer recess of 1970 many brethren turned out to accomplish a major transformation in the Lodge premises. The partition dividing the East of the Lodge from the kitchen and bar (access to which was through a small door behind the Master’s chair) was removed and the Hall extended to the outer East Wall. A new bar and storeroom were built on the south wall of the Lodge Room and a new kitchen was built at the west end in what had once been the Tyler’s house. The Lodge room was also provided with a new floor. Alterations at the same time were carried out in the lower hall and in the anterooms.
In the following March a sale of work was held which realised the sum of £207 which was used to install oil-fired central heating during the summer recess.